The comparisons to Runic Game's Torchlight 2 and Blizzard's Diablo 3 are inevitable and let's be honest, you may have seen a list or two detailing which is better than the other by now. Refresh and Reload will be here to give you a few points people have missed because we're masters of research and development.
Entries in Blizzard (5)
Well boys and girls it's been announced, Diablo III will be launching May 15th this year. While we've been slaves to Blizzard time, I have to say I'm as excited as I though I'd be. Digital pre-sales are available now and I encourage everyone to do the right thing and pre-order their copy, perhaps here or at Gamestop. There's a lot of things to be said after years of waiting; Christmas in May, asskickery, next level shit, Blizzard time sucks and the list goes on. Point being R&R is too excited for this release, days will disappear and friends will be lost. Follow us on twitter @askrandr for all the latest updates on shit that matters.
Blizzard decided to release some new skills (most not seen in beta) a few days ago for Diablo 3 and I must say the game still looks fun as hell. I know it's surprising that Blizzard has released anything let alone something about Diablo 3, mostly because they run on Blizzard time. Thus far I'm enjoying the art style and the overall look of the game. All I can say is I wish R&R could have made it into the beta. There's a wide range of skills shown in the video from the Wizard's disintegrate, to the Barbarian's earthquake, and Blizzard decided to show us some new environment and enemies as well. I've been running through the forums for info as well impressions from beta testers. Having sifted through all of the piss poor spelling and mind numbing bitching without justification I've found most enjoy the new route the franchise has taken. If you haven't read up on things yet Diablo 3 is huge change from the previous titles.
Diablo I & II are some of the most memorable PC games of my life time. While reflecting on the past, I realized it all stems from the asskickery found in co-op. The hours I spent with my childhood friends Drake, Steve, Tony, Sam and even into my adulthood with my best friends Todd and Drew. Those are hours I'll never forget. Yet Diablo did more than just fill hours of the day with swords and sorcery. Diablo developed essential video game tactics I have used ever since.
DIABLO TACTICS 101
1. Turn Around: If they want you to go one way go the total opposite to find whatever treasure, magic, rune, boss or portal the designers have tried to hide from you.
2. Bottleneck: Doorways are the threshold between life and death when the angry demonic mobs come charging down on you . Attack the mob, round them up like cattle and run for the nearest door so you can face them 1 on 1. This became the staple Diablo Tactic and I have used it in countless games.
3. Kite: If that boss is bigger, badder and generally more beastly than you, kite that fatty around the room so you take less damage.
4. Cattle Herd: Large mobs mean more experience so run around them in a large circle until they are all bunched up and then FIREBALL! Quick and easy experience.
5. Ninjas suck: Nothing was worse than getting a chest ninjaed from you in co-op. So don’t be that guy.
6. Chain Lighting for the win: CommanderofYomi and I just had this discussion the other day. No matter what game, lighting is usually great and if there’s chain lighting take it for the win cause that shit demands respect.
But the reason we are really here is Blizzards opening cinematic for Diablo III. Sit back and let the CGI get you all nice and tingly.
“I was an uncle like you, then I took an asteroid in the knee.”
Driving home from work this morning I thought to myself, let's write about the best releases yet to come for the end of the year. Quite honestly outside of Elder Scrolls there isn't much I'm excited for, Assassins Creed has yet to do away with the monotonous gameplay that hampers it, Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto have felt played out to me, and Call of Duty has done a great deal for the FPS genre but does little to capture my attention. I will say Stars Wars: The Old Republic I'm looking forward to a great deal, but today I'd like to concentrate on a special game. Diablo 3 has been slated to release in the 1st quarter of 2012 and I can only hope it's early, since it's revealing in 2008, Blizzard has ran through the usual we will get it done when we get it done because we do what we want shenanigans.